“But the wisdom from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy. And the seed whose fruit is righteousness is sown in peace by those who make peace.” James 3:17-18
My Dad often told me about an automobile that caught his attention. It had a “Straight-Eight” Engine. Instead of the cylinders of the car sitting side by side in the engine block, they were aligned in a straight row. It never caught on. Interestingly, neither has The Father’s plan for providing the Spiritual power for a fresh awakening His church.
“The wisdom from above is…”
1. Pure: immediate obedience, an unadulterated, unpolluted, uncompromising obedience to the Word of God
2. Peaceable: guided by wisdom to discern areas of agreement between two opposing parties rather than a passion for stirring up resentment between them
3. Gentle: harnessed power operating under the authority and the jurisdiction of The Master.
4. Reasonable: willing to yield to God’s sense of direction, protection and correction and to see another person’s point of view through The Father’s eyes.
“Prayer is surrender – surrender to the will of God and cooperation with that will. Prayer is not pulling God to my will, but the aligning of my will to the will of God.” E. Stanley Jones
5. Full of mercy: a heart overflowing with compassion for those you enjoy and for those who annoy you.
6. Full of Good fruits: bearing the character of Christ in spite of unbearable circumstances, and over-bearing people:
“The Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control.” Galatians 5:22-23
7. Unwavering: anchoring your faith in the bedrock of God’s grace, and trusting in His timing, and His provision in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary
8. Without hypocrisy: unmasked, total transparency between you and God and with you and men. Refusing to live beyond your spiritual means by pretending to others to be more than you are with God.
“What a man is on his knees before God, that he is and no more.” Robert Murray M’Cheyne
Note to Self: Prayer provides you with the power tools to build a “Straight -8” life, and the capacity to align your wheels with The Father’s will. Before you put the pedal to the metal, make peace with God and with men. Turn your eyes upon Jesus, and put your knees on the ground. TALK LESS! PRAY MORE!
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.” Jesus, Matthew 5:9